So far this summer, much has been made of Alonso’s will he/won’t he transfer to Real Madrid. It’s rather like Dawson’s Creek but for people who have already lost their virginity and moved past alcopops. However, I think what is just as important but is being somewhat overlooked is Liverpool’s striking options.
Now don’t get me wrong, I think Babel is a very, very good player and as long as he can keep his confidence, he can beat anybody but he is a bit on the fragile side. Voronin has a “clever footballing brain”. Great. He can’t score though. Yes, he’s got a high work rate but if he’s playing as a lone striker, that counts for nothing if he’s not in the positions he should be in to score goals. That leads me on to N’Gog and Nemeth, I think they are both players of potential and I probably rate Nemeth higher than N’Gog but I think both players need some first team experience and would benefit from going on loan to a smaller Premier League club like Hull.
So who does that leave? Well I’ve been thinking, then I played on GTA IV, watched a bit of Hollyoaks and thought a bit more. I think I’ve come up with a couple of possible, albeit, risky options.
1. Obafemi Martins – A player who is known to want a move away from the North East ‘Giants’. A few teams have been credited with an interest in him ranging from Fulham to Arsenal and even current Bundesliga champions, Wolfsburg. The Geordies have slapped a heft £10m price tag on him which is far too much for someone who is, after all, a Championship player. If we were able to get him for around £6m then maybe it’s a risk worth taking but his attitude may prove to be a stumbling block.
2. Valeri Bojinov – There are a lot of metaphorical questionmarks over this guy’s head after coming to England with reputation as a very promising striker…but only scoring one goal. However, he has had a couple of particularly bad injuries and as a back up striker we could do a lot worse.
3. Eidur Gudjohnsen – Ok, he’s 30, he’s only scored 10 goals in 72 games for Barca but that’s because he’s been playing as mainly as an attacking midfielder. I accept that even at Chelsea, where he played as a striker, he was hardly prolific but he does play exceptionally well as a support striker so could fill in for Gerarrd. He’s also more than capable of leading the line should Torres find himself on the ever familiar physio’s bench.
4. Bojan Krkic– He’s cropped up in a conversation or two in the pub but generally regarded as too lightweight.
5. Thierry Henry – Once said that the only other English team he’d join is Liverpool and that’s good enough for me. Like Gudjohnsen, he’s getting on a bit but he can still play with the best of them and, personally, I think him and Torres would play amazing together but he is also strong enough to play as a lone striker. His happiness at Barca has been questioned a number of times and maybe he’d love the chance to play for in the Premier League one last time. It’s a long shot but let’s be honest, if we won the league with him and Torres up front, he would be automatically cemented as an Anfield Legend.
Now I accept that these are both risky and unlikely but I genuinely believe we have a better chance of landing Henry than we have of getting Villa. Come to mention it, we’ve got more chance of signing all of Aston Villa than David Villa.
I’m not saying that I know better than Rafa and that we should definitely sign to sign these players, I’m just saying that these are explorable options.