FIFA transfer ban could have positive knock on effects for some.
Salomon Kalou has told skysports.com of his delight at signing a new contract at Chelsea.
The Ivory Coast international revealed last week that he had agreed terms on a new deal, and he put pen to paper on Monday.
Now Kalou is looking forward to at least another three years at Stamford Bridge, having committed his future to the club until 2012.
“I am delighted to stay here for the next three years so I can improve my game and play more games,” he told skysports.com.
Kalou had been strongly linked with a move across the capital to rivals Arsenal, but he is happy to have stayed put.
“I heard a lot, there was some interest in me, but I think I made the best choice of signing a new contract here at the Bridge,” he continued.
“Hopefully I can get more chances from the manager and play more to improve my game.” (Sky Sports)
Surely even the most ardent Chelsea fan would consider Salomon Kalou has nothing more than a decent player, and one who will only really be called upon when injuries or poor form dictate, and then is it fair to assume that the new deal that Carlo Ancelotti has offered the Ivorian is simply due to the fact that the club may well indeed be unable to bring in new players for the best part of a year and a half and hence are unwilling to see any players leave in the interim period?
In three years at Stamford Bridge the former Feyenoord man has never managed to secure a steady run in the first team and it seems Carlo Ancelotti is even less willing to give the 24 year old a run out than his predecessors.
Will the potential FIFA ban, dependent on the results of Chelsea’s appeal, mean the club has to do its best to tie down its main first team squad to long term deals to avoid being left with a shortfall in the top notch talent. Clearly the threat of the ban hasn’t had any short term effect on the team as they have had an explosive start to the Premier League season.