Slovakian to blame for outbreak.
Manchester City have confirmed that a number of the club’s players and back room staff have been affected by an outbreak of swine flu.
Vladimir Weiss, the highly-rated Slovakian youngster, is believed to have been the first to contract the H1N1 strain of the virus last week and was told to remain at home for last Saturday’s 2-1 win over Chelsea at Eastlands.
The club have also reported that Craig Bellamy, the Welsh international striker who missed the visit of Carlo Ancelotti’s team, is also suffering from a mild case of the virus, though he is believed to be over the worst. Several members of Mark Hughes’s back-room team have reported similar, flu-like symptoms.
Both players are thought to be making progress and Manchester City expect them to return to training tomorrow, making them available for selection for the club’s Premier League trip to Bolton on Saturday.
“There is a little bit of it creeping into the camp,” Mark Bowen, the City assistant manager, said. “Players come in every day with sniffles, coughs and colds and the doctor has to determine whether it is the onset of something more serious. It is his decision whether they have to be sent home.”
City suffered a swine flu scare earlier this year when Micah Richards, the defender, contracted the virus while on holiday in Cyprus, initially believing he was suffering from alcohol poisoning. (Telegraph)
No doubt Chelsea fans would have hoped this outbreak had occurred about a week earlier!