Reports suggest that Liverpool are struggling financially, and thus will need to sell to buy.
The following article by COS contributor Reds Lewis, looks at the areas of the first team which are commonly
reffered to as “dead-wood”, and who they could be keeping out of a Reds Shirt.
Anfields hidden equity – time for a clearout
January is fast approaching, and the rumours surrounding transfers to Liverpool are abundant. Summer saw us bring in over £30m
pounds worth of players, however this was at the expense of two first team players. Including
a certain Mr Xabi Alonso….
The players often described as deadwood are none other than the following…
1. Andrea Dossena – failed to make an impact and finds himself at 3rd choice left back,
he is homesick. Still young, and valued in Italy…It would be fair to say we could move
him on for around £4 million.
2. Andrei Voronin – I dont need to say anything here! Valued in Germany,
I think we could get about £3 million for him.
3. Damien Plessis – a defensive midfielder who has been in the first team for a while but never really made
any appearances…could probably get £2 million for him from a championship club or equivelant…
4. Phillip Degen – very attack minded defender, probably more of a right winger than a right-back, however
im not sure hes Liverpool quality, probably be better off at the likes of hull city or equivelant
where hed be able to get a regular starting place…got him on a free….get rid for £1 million.
5. Nabil El Zhar – probably not a bad player but again…is he liverpool quality?
either way id get rid for £2 million
6. Charles Itjande – absolute disgrace – get rid for £1 million to whoever will have him.
7. David Martin – a decent keeper but hes never going to get ahead of cavalieri or Reina,
no doubt that some lower-table premiership teams would be interested – £3 million.
Assuming that the last 5 of these players are on at least 10 grand a week, and that the first two are probably on about 20-30 grand a week,
we’re looking at around 110 grand a week at least. Lets face it are they worth that? How often do we see them? Pre-season games or
carling cup games? Their combined value, based on the realistic valuations above, comes to £16 million. Now lets say that we could squeeze £10 million out of the owners… thats 26 million pounds. Strength in-depth seems to be our main weakness, and strength in depth is quality, not quantity.
So what sort of quality could we bring in for £26 million? The following are midfield and striker signings….I don’t think we need any defenders.
1. Eljero Elia – moved to hamburg for around £9 million….has so far this season scored 5 goals in 16 appearances, and a fair few assists aswell.
looks like babel did a few years ago, however is definately a winger and not a striker like babel… £9 million might prise him away from the hands of Hamburg.
2. Van der Vaart – we’d have £11 million left if we bought elia….so could we get Van der Vaart for this? Sources would indicate to a yes…as he is unhappy at Real Madrid and was on the brink of leaving in the summer….no doubt he is world class, and can play pretty much anywhere in Midfield.
1. Aaron Lennon – a lethal crosser and oozes peace…a full england internation too…£20 million might prise him from spurs…especially if they slip up in their next few games and drop from around 5th spot.
2. Leaving us with £5 million for Pandev from Lazio…he’d bolster our attacking prowess, and he is a decent player and an international too…
1. Pavyluchenko – £10 million from Spurs…wants to leave however is dividing opnion..
2. Mata or David Silva – £16 million would probably lure them away…
1. Now this is the big one….Sergio Aguero… assuming we had £26 million to spend after sales and 10 million off the owners we could also sell ryan babel. Now i’m not saying we should definately be selling him, but cerain sources e.g. sky sports news have been posting interviews with a general message of him wanting to leave Anfield. Now if we could get £10 million for Babel, then that would leave us with £36 million. Aguero has played with Torres before, hes a liverpool fan, and has a better chance of champions league football than at his current club. Not to mention Atletico Madrid are in financial difficulty. Torres snubbed the likes of
Chelsea’s big money offers before he came to Liverpool, maybe Aguero is waiting for us to make a move? 36 million is a fair offer to Ateltico, and even if they receive higher offers from elsewhere…then they cant sell him unless he agrees to go.