How does he manage to keep his job?
Fifa president Sepp Blatter has apologised to the Football Association over Frank Lampard’s disallowed goal in England’s World Cup defeat by Germany.
Blatter said the error had convinced him to reopen the debate on goal-line technology at a board meeting in July.
Lampard was denied a goal in Sunday’s 4-1 second-round loss, even though his shot clearly crossed the line.
Blatter also said sorry to Mexico after Carlos Tevez’s offside goal was allowed to stand in Argentina’s 3-1 victory.
Uruguayan referee Jorge Larrionda, who missed Lampard’s goal, and Italian referee Roberto Rosetti, who allowed Tevez’s offside Argentina goal to stand, have not been retained for the remainder of the tournament.
Lampard’s strike came during a spell of England dominance and would have levelled the score at 2-2.
The high-profile error sparked a clamour for referees to be given more assistance, with international players’ union FifPro leading calls for goal-line technology to be introduced.
Blatter said the issue will now form part of the agenda at next month’s meeting of the International FA Board (IFAB), the body that decides the laws of the game.
“It is obvious that after the experiences so far at this World Cup it would be a nonsense not to reopen the file on goal-line technology,” stated Blatter.
The Tevez goal – the first in Argentina’s win on Sunday – was replayed on the screens in the stadium, sparking angry clashes between officials and the Mexican players and coaches.
“Personally I deplore it when you see evident referee mistakes but it’s not the end of a competition or the end of football, this can happen,” added Blatter.
“Yesterday I spoke to the two federations [England and Mexico] directly concerned by referees’ mistakes.
“I have expressed to them apologies and I understand they are not happy and that people are criticising.
“We will naturally take on board the discussion on technology and have the first opportunity in July at the business meeting.” (BBC Sport)
This somewhat contradicts FIFA’s stance on the issue of goal line technology, which was confirmed by the following statement.
The International Football Association Board (IFAB) meting in Zurich in March to discuss continuing with further experiments with goal-line technology. Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke said: “The door is closed. The decision was not to go ahead with technology at all.”
It’s not like Sepp Blatter to act in such a mindless manner (sarcasm), but once again he is moving with the wind rather than dealing with a situation that has always been an issue. Of course nothing will change and to be honest I do think that mistakes are part and parcel of the game and these two particular decisions were not even borderline and were just horrendous errors that should have been avoided.
Perhaps Mr. Blatter should look into improving officiating at games because frankly the level of refereeing has been shocking at this World Cup with mistakes made on a daily basis.