Here at Caughtoffside, we certainly don’t condone breaking another person’s leg or knocking someone unconscious, but football is a physical sport and “accidents” are bound to happen. Here are the top ten worst and most shocking challenges to have ever happened, with video evidence.
10. In an Under-19’s game, Boca Juniors goalkeeper Jose Allende somehow only gets a yellow card for for this horrific challenge on Sevilla’s Jose.
9. Not sure of the player names here, but one of them came off a lot worse in this challenge during a game between Oupa Ngulube and Black Aces.
8. Axel Witsel ending Marcin Wasilewski’s season during Anderlecht vs Standard Liege.
7. Ben Thatcher with a quite blatant forearm to Pedro Mendes’ face, knocking the Portuguese player unconscious instantly.
6. Some old school footage here, as the great Maradona is on the wrong end of a rather high tackle from Athletic’s Andoni Goikoetxea.
5. Don’t watch this one if you are squeamish, as Ewald Lienen suffers a horrible deep wound thanks to a disgraceful challenge from Norbert Siegmann.
4. Niels Kokmeijer breaks his leg in a match vs Sparta Rotterdam thanks to Rachid Bouaouzan.
3. The infamous Eduardo injury. Martin Taylor as always been insistent that this challenge was accidental, either way, it’s still horrible.
2. Roy Keane did not like Alf Inge Haaland, and what better way to let him know than to pretty much end his career.
1. With absolutely no chance of getting the ball, Harald Schumacher decides to sprint out from his goal-line and hit Patrick Battison as hard as possible, leaving the player unconscious and minus a few teeth. Not even a yellow card offence according the the referee.