Anfield boss to bring in further additions next week.
Liverpool will continue to press for Newcastle United fullback Jose Enrique.
The Mirror says the Reds have been involved in talks with Newcastle over their Spanish full-back Enrique.
Liverpool are also determined to land Aston Villa winger Stewart Downing.
The Liverpool Echo says just hours after offering Aston Villa £15million for Downing, the Reds agreed a deal worth around £8.5million with Blackpool for the acquisition of Charlie Adam
One of Liverpool’s two main transfer targets has been secured and Downing should follow Adam to Anfield over the next week.
Sources state that Liverpool will look to complete this pair of signings by Monday as Kenny Dalglish looks to build a squad that he will hope can challenge for a top four spot after two seasons outside the Champions League qualification race.
Having already brought in Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam, Dalglish now looks to resolve the problem wide areas that are in need of resolving at Anfield.
Last term the Merseyside club had to use a number of players to fill in at left back and the likes of Fabio Aurelio and Paul Konchesky fail to inspire confidence and Glen Johnson and Danny Wilson were used out of position at times whilst youngster Jack Robinson showed signs of potential, at 17 he is probably too raw to be considered as a first team regular.
Liverpool had been linked with interest in Gael Clichy but the Arsenal man has since moved to Man City so the focus shifts back to Newcastle United’s Jose Enrique who is thought to be ready to leave St James’ Park and the players’s agent has stated that whilst the Spaniard has returned to the North-East club for pre-season training he is still very much looking at alternative options and with just one year left on his Magpies contract seems likely to leave this summer.
The left wing role is also one that needs mending and Stewart Downing is Dalglish’s first choice to fill that position and Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish is thought to be ready to replace the England international with Wigan wide man Charles N’Zogbia and an initial offer of £15m has already been made by Liverpool.
The Midlands side is looking for a fee nearer to £20m but it is thought both clubs are willing to discuss the situation and a move seems likely.
Liverpool used Maxi Rodriguez, Milan Jovanovic and Joe Cole on the left last season and Ryan Babel was sold in January after three and a half up and down seasons and Kenny Dalglish is looking to bring in out and out wingers to help provide ammunition for strike pairing Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll.