Anfield reject set for San Siro move.
AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi has publicly declared his intention of signing Liverpool midfielder Alberto Aquilani this week.
The 27-year-old, who is under contract until 2014, has never settled at Anfield since his £17million switch from Roma in 2009.
The Italy international was troubled by injury in his first season and was sent on-loan to Juventus for the whole of last year.
Aquilani has been strongly linked with a move back to Serie A in recent months with Fiorentina also reportedly keen to acquire the midfielder’s services.
Milan are looking to bolster their midfield line after failing to lure Fiorentina’s Riccardo Montolivo to the San Siro.
“Aquilani is a great player,” AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi told Gazzetta dello Sport.
“We are discussing the possibility with (AC Milan administrator Adriano) Galliani.
“I spoke to (AC Milan coach Massimiliano) Allegri and we will see what happens.”
Milan are ready to grant Aquilani’s wishes of a permanent transfer with the midfielder not figuring in Kenny Dalglish’s long-term plans at Anfield.
Aquilani’s representative Franco Zavaglia is hopeful the move to the San Siro will be done by the end of the week at the latest.
“The involved parties are working on this case, and between Wednesday and Thursday, everything will be decided,” Zavaglia told ilsussidiario.net.