Loftus Road in talks with St James’ Park bad boy.
Newcastle United have given midfielder Joey Barton permission to speak to Queens Park Rangers over a possible move.
The Hoops have made an approach for the 28-year-old, who has been made available by the Magpies on a free despite having one-year remaining on his contract.
The one-time England international has been at loggerheads with the Toon board after criticisms he made of the club’s transfer policy on his Twitter account.
He joined the club for £5.8million from Manchester City in 2007, and was close to signing a new deal in January but talks stalled following Andy Carroll’s departure for Liverpool.
The contract on the table has since been withdrawn and the player has been told he will not be offered another.
Barton has previously said he will only leave Newcastle for a top team, but so far has received little interest in his services.
Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton and Aston Villa have been linked with moves but his reputation along with wage demands have put them off.
QPR, now backed by new owner Tony Fernandes, are in need of more Premier League experience if they are to survive relegation.
A 4-0 opening day humiliation by Bolton was forgotten about after a hard-fought 1-0 win over Everton.
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew revealed Barton will not play in the Carling but expects him to return for Fulham’s visit on Sunday – but this may no longer be the case.