Etihad Stadium outcast refutes allegations.
Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez has denied refusing to play against Bayern Munich in the Champions League.
The 27-year-old claims he was ‘misunderstood’ and contradicts his manager Roberto Mancini’s account of events.
The City boss said the Argentina international’s career at the Etihad was over after he refused to come off the bench at the Allianz Arena.
“I would like to apologize to all Manchester City fans, with whom I have always had a strong relationship, for any misunderstanding that occurred in Munich,” Tevez said in a statement.
“They understand that when I am on the pitch I have always given my best for the club.
“In Munich on Tuesday I had warmed up and was ready to play. This is not the right time to get into specific details as to why this did not happen.
“But I wish to state that I never refused to play.”
Tevez appeared to refuse to leave the bench when Mancini wanted to replace Samir Nasri with him when City was already trailing 2-0.
“There was some confusion on the bench and I believe my position may have been misunderstood,” Tevez added.
“Going forward I am ready to play when required and to fulfill my obligations.”
Mancini announced in Munich that he will speak with City chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak in the coming days to discuss Tevez’s future.
“If I decided, yes (he would leave) — he wanted to leave last year,” Mancini said. “I helped him for two years every time.
“He refused to play. I cannot accept this behavior from him. I decide the substitutions, not Carlos.”