Old Trafford veteran failed to prevent publication.
Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has lost his privacy action over a ‘kiss and tell’ story, which gave details of his 13-year affair.
The 32-year-old brought his case for misuse of private information over a Sunday Mirror article, from April last year.
Interior designer Carly Storey gave her account of their 13-year relationship in return for £16,000.
Ferdinand branded the piece a “gross invasion of my privacy”, and said he had not seen Ms Storey for six years by the time it appeared.
The article claimed Ferdinand, who has three children with wife Rebecca, ended the relationship within days of being handed the England captaincy in February 2010.
At a hearing in July, his lawyers asked for a maximum of £50,000 damages and a worldwide gagging order.
The judge said: “Overall, in my judgment, the balancing exercise favours the defendant’s right of freedom of expression over the claimant’s right of privacy.”
MGN Ltd said it was in the public interest to run the story about Ferdinand, who had just replaced John Terry as England captain.
Its counsel, Gavin Millar QC, said Ferdinand was appointed England captain on the basis of being reformed and responsible.
In fact, as the article said, this was not the case.
He argued the case was not really about Ferdinand’s privacy but about the effect on the public image he had so painstakingly constructed.
The England and Manchester United centre-back was not at London’s High Court to hear Mr Justice Nicol dismiss his claim against MGN.