Emirates Stadium side challenge Turin giants to land Spanish international.
Athletic Bilbao striker Fernando Llorente has confirmed he will leave the club when his contract expires at the end of the season.
Llorente turned down the offer of a new deal at the Primera Liga club over the summer and said he wanted to leave, but Bilbao refused to negotiate with interested sides.
The Spain international, who has previously been linked with Juventus and Arsenal, has found himself relegated to the bench so far this season, starting one league game and scoring a single goal.
After failing to persuade him to stay, Bilbao could chose to sell the 27-year-old in January rather than lose him on a free transfer in the summer, with Juve thought to be planning a winter swoop for the striker.
He said: “I am going to leave on June 30. I want to develop as a player and try something new.”
SOURCE: Sky Sports
So there you have it. Straight from the horse’s mouth so to speak.
There will be fewer more keenly sought after free transfer signings that Fernando Llorente and as this source points out, Arsenal and Juventus are leading the chase for the 27 year old.
Athletic Bilbao will surely be cursing the loss of such a pivotal player without any financial recompense whatsoever but then the La Liga side knew this was on the cards. Though the Basque side may well try to cash in on the Spanish international in January Llorente’s comments suggest that he will look to see out his deal so as to maximise his wage earning potential.
27 year old Llorente could well aid Arsenal’s threadbare attack and Juventus, despite beating all before them in Serie A, do lack a prolific marksman to spearhead their attack.
The Athletic Bilbao forward has scored 115 goals in 310 appearances for the San Mames side and last term was his most prolific to date with Llorente netting 29 goals in all competitions.
Tickets still available for top football matches – Arsenal tickets