Defender to stay at the Etihad Stadium in January transfer window.
Joleon Lescott has ruled out leaving Manchester City during the January transfer window and pledged his immediate future to the club despite finding first-team opportunities limited this season.
Lescott had formed a partnership with captain Vincent Kompany during Manchester City title-winning season last year, but the England international centre-back has been forced to watch from the bench for a significant portion of the opening half of this season. Youngster Matija Nastasic, signed during the summer, has been preferred as Kompany’s defensive partner and Kolo Toure has been the back-up option.
As a result, Lescott has been the subject of interest from Everton, Sunderland, QPR and home town club Aston Villa with the quartet mulling over loan moves or a permanent capture during the transfer window.
But, after Lescott completed 90 minutes for Manchester City in a 3-0 FA Cup win over Watford on Saturday, his representatives issued a statement clarifying his future and insisted he will staying put for the remainder of the season at least.
“Joleon Lescott has ruled out the possibility of any loan move during the January transfer window,” the statement said. “Despite speculation linking him with several Premier League clubs, Joleon has no desire to leave Manchester City.”
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini had said he did not want Lescott to depart with Toure and brother Yaya both due to be absent for more than a month while representing the Ivory Coast at the African Nations Cup.
Tickets still available for top football matches – Man City tickets