Magpies boss claims no bids for midfield ace.
Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has said that there have been no bids for influential midfielder Yohan Cabaye – something which he hopes will stay that way as he hopes to keep hold of him this summer, Sky Sports reports.
Cabaye has been the subject of heavy speculation this summer with the likes of Manchester United, Monaco and Paris Saint Germain all said to be interested at various points throughout the season.
However, Pardew has admitted that there have been no bids for the 27-year-old so far as he hopes to be able to keep him ahead of the new season that will be a crucial World Cup year for the player.
“Obviously, he’s a player I want to keep,” Pardew told the Shields Gazette.
“He’s a great technical player, and his personality is fantastic. It’s a big season for him. He will be a starter for France at the World Cup. It’s important for him.”
Pardew also praised the French international’s professional attitude during this whole saga and claimed that he would have no qualms about putting him straight into the squad come the start of the season should he still be there.
“He’s focused very much on us,” added the Newcastle boss.
“There’s no bid for him as we speak now. Until such time as there is, he is a Newcastle United player. Yohan’s a total, 100 per cent professional.
“Anything else, all the speculation, will go on. It’ll always go on around quality players like him, like with (Wayne) Rooney and (Cristiano) Ronaldo. It’s part and parcel of being a big player.”
The former Lille man captained the Magpies in Saturday’s 3-1 defeat to Rio Ave in Portugal, and he could again be in the starting line up for this week’s second game against Pacos de Ferreira.
Cabaye once again demonstrated his influence in the first team after he struck the crossbar with a fierce shot at the Estadio do Rio Ave.