Portuguese was keen on a move to White Hart Lane this summer, only to be told by los Blancos that he is going nowhere.
Tottenham Hotspur’s hopes of signing highly rated Real Madrid defender Fabio Coentrao this season are now over, according to reports in the Daily Mirror.
The north London club had been chasing the Portugal international’s signature in recent weeks, with it even being reported that Coentrao could form part of playmaker Gareth Bale’s world-record 100 million euros transfer to the Santiago Bernabeu.
However, the Wales international’s move to the Spanish capital was finally confirmed on Monday, but without Madrid’s attacking full back as part of the deal, although that has still did not stop Tottenham head coach Andre Villas-Boas for trying to sign his compatriot before the window closed at midnight on Monday.
The Portuguese is understood to have been prepared to either sign Coentrao on loan for this season, or pay £30m to secure the 25-year-old on a permanent transfer, only for recently appointed los Blancos head coach Carlo Ancelotti to confirm that the Spanish giants would not be allowing the full back to leave the club this summer.
And despite the Italian selecting Brazil international Marcelo as his first-choice left back in the Spanish capital so far in the new campaign, Madrid are understood to now be reluctant to allow a player who cost them 30m euros to depart La Liga.
“I know that Fabio wants to play. But not all of the technical staff agree that he should leave. He is needed for the project,” said Ancelotti on Monday.