Manager not worried about striker leaving.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has insisted that he is not worried about losing star striker Luis Suarez and is in no rush to tie him down to a new deal as he plans to build the team around him, Sky Sports reports.
Read More Liverpool FC News
The Uruguayan hitman still has two-and-a-half years left to run on his current deal, but the Reds have sought to open talks over a new contract that would see him stay at Anfield beyond that period.
Managing director Ian Ayre flew to Barcelona on Wednesday to speak to the player’s agent Pere Guardiola about the matter. However, speaking to the press before their game with Cardiff City this weekend, manager Brendan Rodgers said that he was feeling relaxed that the situation would work itself out over time.
“There’s nothing to report on that. At the moment he is just focusing on his football,” said Rodgers.
“That (the contract) will all take care of itself, I don’t think there’s any rush at this moment in time with anything on that.
“Of course, he is a player we would want to keep here and build a team around over the coming years.”
Suarez has been in electric form since returning from a ten game ban earlier this season, and has notched up 17 goals in his last 11 games. It’s been a hard year for the 26-year-old, but Rodgers has maintained that he has grown from the experiences.
“It is part of life that you mature. The ban hit him really hard last time,” added Rodgers.
“He is a player that any manager in the world would want in the team for his determination and quality.
“But I have got to know him as a human being as well. He is a really humble man who has this unique desire to win games.
“He has had his difficult moments and we have had difficult moments with him, but he is a great guy and he is really coming to the fore in this period.
“He has been outstanding.”
See who are the top 10 best Liverpool players of all time.
Watch the top 10 best Liverpool goals.