Liverpool are set to take action against a man who claimed two Muslims praying at Anfield were a disgrace, reports the Daily Mail.
Liverpool transfer news
Liverpool in advanced talks to sign Radamel Falcao as Mario Balotelli replacement
Arsenal v Chelsea tickets cost desperate fans £950
Stephen Dodd posted a photograph of solicitors Asif Bodi and Abubakar Bhula to Twitter last month with the caption “Muslims praying at half time at the match yesterday #disgrace”. This caused outrage and anger from many, but Dodd claimed to have the right to his say as a long time supporter of the club.
The Reds hierarchy have now said that they will “take appropriate action” against the man. This has come over a month since the tweet which was posted on March 8 as the police have only recently finished investigating. However, one of those pictured, Mr. Bhodi does not want Dodd to be banned from the ground.
He told the Mail: “I don’t want to see him banned because I think that would be an overreaction. Neither of us has been approached either by the club or by the police, we haven’t made any complaint. I wouldn’t like to see a fellow supporter banned from the ground – I do defend his right to express an opinion.”
His friend Mr. Bhula has also offered to educate Dodd on the importance of prayer to Muslims, thinking that is more important than a punishment for his actions.
He said: “We’ve had a lot of nice comments since and I appreciate that. We weren’t harming anybody. Education is key to stopping things like this from happening. Maybe the man who took the photo has not come across Muslims before who have explained the significance of prayer. I would be quite happy to meet with him to explain why we pray and when it needs to be done.”