High-profile Arsenal fan and media personality Piers Morgan has said, via his official Twitter account, that divisive manager Arsene Wenger has been offered a new deal.
Morgan claims, “on very good authority”, that the 66-year-old Frenchman has a three-year contract to continue as Gunners boss waiting to be signed “on his desk”.
Arsenal fans appear to be split on Wenger’s future. Morgan has made his opinion perfectly clear, describing news of Wenger’s potential stay as “utterly outrageous”.
I’ve been told on very good authority that Wenger’s been offered a new 3-yr contract by Arsenal.
If true, utterly outrageous. #afc
— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) March 27, 2016
The Good Morning Britain anchor has been one of Wenger’s biggest detractors in recent years, as Arsenal appear to be on course for 12 seasons without a Premier League title.
Morgan takes some stick for his anti-Wenger stance on Twitter, but it is easy to believe how well informed the former editor of the Daily Mirror is on all things Arsenal.
The Daily Mail reported earlier this month that Wenger has the full backing of the Arsenal board despite falling short in the league and Champions League again this campaign.
But, according to the Daily Mail, Wenger might choose to walk away before his current contract expires in 2017, if supporter protests over his recent ‘failings’ continue to get worse.
Club legend warns Arsenal could go same way as Manchester United if they sack Arsene Wenger
Opinion: Time for Arsene Wenger to lead Arsenal overhaul rather than quit
Arsenal board 100% behind Arsene Wenger – but under-fire manager could give in to fan protests