With the Blues 10th in the Premier League and out of all the cups, the 2015-16 season is unlikely to provide Chelsea fans with any more excitement.
In fact, the thing many Chelsea supporters I know are looking forward to most is the prospect of former manager Claudio Ranieri lifting the title with Leicester City at Stamford Bridge on the final day.
This scenario seems to arouse Blues fans in two ways:
1. They get to celebrate London rivals Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur failing to capitalise on their golden chance to be crowned English champions.
2. They get to share in the joy of Ranieri – a man who they feel was treated badly by Roman Abramovich during his time in South-West London.
Although that’s as exciting as this season will get for Chelsea FC, their summer promises to highly entertaining.
Antonio Conte will arrive to replace Guus Hiddink as manager, but he is unlikely to be the only arrival, with a wide range of transfer activity potentially set to take place.
Consequently, the sporting media is awash with Chelsea transfer news. Below are the best stories currently doing the rounds online…
1. Eden Hazard has dismissed rumours that he has already put pen to paper on a deal to join Real Madrid.
Hazard is quoted by the Daily Mirror as saying: “Have I signed for Real? No, that’s not true, I do not know who said that.”For now, I am at Chelsea. I have a season to finish, and my contract ends in four years. For now, I’m here, and I am, and I want to get back on the field with Chelsea.”
2. The Metro have published claims allegedly made by Spanish magazine Don Balon that Chelsea have made a £63.5m bid for Real centre-back Sergio Ramos.
If the deal went through, Ramos would break the British-transfer record, say The Metro, who list Angel di Maria as the most expensive signing a UK club has made to date – at £59.7m when he moved from Real to Man United in 2014.
3. Chelsea, Arsenal and Man United are tracking PSG defender, according to the Daily Star.
The newspaper also claim the Brazilian is angry with his current club and set to leave at the end of the season after falling out of favour under Laurent Blanc.