Southampton forward Sadio Mane appears to be closing in on a big-money move to Liverpool which would make him one of the most expensive British transfers ever.
According to Sky Sports, the Senegalese, who has scored 25 goals in 75 games for the Saints, is having a medical at Anfield today ahead of a deal which could be worth £36m.
SEE MORE: Sadio Mane transfer: Southampton winger taking medical with Liverpool
That would make Mane the eighth most expensive buy in Premier League history. Here is how his seemingly imminent arrival at Liverpool would affect the 10 biggest fees.
All of these fees are reported by Sky Sports.
1. Angel Di Maria – £59.7m, Real Madrid to Manchester United
2. Kevin de Bruyne – £54.5m, Wolfsburg to Manchester City
3. Fernando Torres – £50m, Liverpool to Chelsea
4. Raheem Sterling – £49m, Liverpool to Manchester City
5. Mesut Ozil – £42.5m, Real Madrid to Arsenal
6. Sergio Aguero – £38m, Atletico Madrid to Manchester City
7. Juan Mata – £37.1m, Chelsea to Manchester United
8. Sadio Mane – £36m, Southampton to Liverpool
9. Andy Carroll – £35m, Newcastle to Liverpool
10. Alexis Sanchez – £35m, Barcelona to Arsenal
These monster fees bring with them great pressure. Interestingly, nearly half of these buys have proven, so far at least, to be poor purchases – Di Maria, Torres, Sterling and Carroll.
Will Mane join that club, or is he going to be money well spent by the Reds?
Tweet @JoeFish08 with your opinions.
Liverpool receive transfer boost as Neven Subotic leaves Borussia Dortmund
Sturridge on Sterling: Liverpool star defends former teammate over “harsh” treatment, backs him to become world class
Picture: Liverpool striker commits world’s biggest fashion faux pas at Euro 2016