Rafa may have ruled out a move for one top class striker but he has also confirmed a potential move for another!
LONDON, July 10 (Reuters) – Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez ruled out making a move for Spain striker David Villa on Thursday.
Benitez, who has allowed striker Peter Crouch to join Portsmouth, had been linked with the Valencia player who starred at last month’s Euro 2008 finals.
“I said the other day that Villa is one of the names we had on our list, but I can say at this moment that it is not an option for us,” Benitez told Liverpool’s website (www.liverpoolfc.tv).
“We know Villa is a very good player, we know the price and we know the players we have, so when you consider everything we decided he was one of the names but, at this moment, not our target.”
However, Benitez confirmed that a move for Tottenham Hotspur’s Ireland striker Robbie Keane was a possibility.
“Keane is one of the other names and OK we are still working with other names. We were in contact and we will see now,” he said.
Whilst Juande Ramos is keen not to lose Robbie it may prove difficult to persuade the lifelong Liverpool fan from pursuing a dream move. The 18m Irishman is one of the most consistent strikers in the Premier League and would be a good foil for Fernando Torres and perhaps the Tottenham boss would accept a Keane exit rather than lost Berbatov? Could Keane be an Anfield hero? If push came to shove who would Spurs fans rather sell of Berbs of Keano?