Tottenham end the summer considerably richer from a financial point-of-view, yet poorer in the sense that no trace of last season’s prolific strike-pairing exists at White Hart Lane. Losing one of their star forwards would have been hard for the fans to take, but both disappearing out of the exit door has been a kick in the teeth. Apparently, the club were left with no option according to their head honcho.
The Press Association reports that Daniel Levy wants a review of the Premier League system, whereby clubs can approach players with a view to signing them and escape without any punishment. He also admits that Berbatov and Keane had to be sold, such was their desire to leave for ‘Big Four’ clubs.
Levy told the club’s official website: “The decisions we took to allow the transfers of Berbatov and Robbie Keane were made after close discussions with the coaching staff.”
He added: “Juande (Ramos) was clear, and I believe correct, in not wishing to embrace any player within the dressing room that had no desire to play for the badge of this club and for his team-mates. Under these circumstances we had no option but to sell these players.”
“I have already stated my opinion on the manner in which our players were approached and the nature of the negotiations surrounding Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov.
“Monday’s events were further evidence of the need for the Premier League to review the system.
“I have also previously said that we had no need to sell players on long contracts – this no longer remains practical.”
Despite Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Barry staying put at their respective clubs, there is little doubt that if a player wants a move badly enough and the bidding club are desperate to land them, there is little that the selling club can do about it at the moment. Footballers are too precious a commodity to be kept in the reserves and a player has to want to play for the shirt, you can’t force that sort of thing.