COS contributor Daniel Morgan discusses the issue of five Gunners stars Wenger failed to replace and recommends five quality players available to fill the void.
Arsene Has recently gone public saying that his team can challenge for the premier league, despite the loss of two main starters and the signing or one cover player. Entering the 5th trophyless season do you still blame it on bad luck and injuries or do you regrettably have to look higher up in the pecking order and see what changes need to be made no matter how drastic they could be.
Arsene Wenger will always be seen by Arsenal fans as a messiah who turned the clubs fortunes around and turned them into the top four club they are today. But with high spending Manchester city buying star after star after star and Wenger being more frugal than usual in the transfer market is it time for the Arsenal board to consider looking for a replacement if Arsene does not deliver the goods this season?
I believe that if Arsene were to swallow some pride and decide to start spending more lavishly then with the right signings Arsenal will become the feared powerhouse they used to be. There are 5 players Arsene has failed to replace:
– Sol Campbell – With the towering defender leaving the club for the same fee that saw him arrive five years earlier, the height and power that he gave to the defence was paramount, as shown in the unbeaten season. Though his reliability was the asset missed most by the Arsenal back line with Gallas and his antics not even nearly filling the void left by Sol.
– Dennis Bergkamp – The class Dutchman is one of the best players the world has ever seen, his link up play with every player on the team and his cool head under pressure has not been passed on to the youth that now wears the Arsenal shirt which is what players like Walcott and Bendtner lack the most.
– Thierry Henry – The best player to ever pull on the red and white of Arsenal, his 20+ goals a season are sorely missed by Arsenal and the gunners faithful. He is the figurehead of the experienced spine that should be running through the team.
– Robert Pires – The skilful French man was the unsung hero of Arsenals unbeaten run, the midfielders 20+ assists and 15+ goals a season have not been found in the attempted replacements signed by Wenger.
– Patrick Vieira – The general or boss of the midfield has never really been replaced by Wenger, despite the success of Gilberto Silva and Flamini, Vieira will always be the player remembered by the Arsenal fans because of his tough tackling and hard man persona.
There are 5 players that could be obtainable and good value for money and could also take arsenal to the title if bought in January. And all bar 1 would be eligible for the Champions League.
– Sakho – Tall, athletic and young. This player is everything Arsene usually goes for in a player and the fact that he is French. Already breaking into the French national team and captaining PSG at the tender age of 19. Could be bought for around the 15million mark and would be well worth the investment for the 15years service they would get from him.
– Huntelaar – Struggling for form of late and Arsene could be the right man to re ignite him. Proven goal scorer which, now with Van Persie out, Arsenal lack. AC Milan would be willing to part with him for 12million.
– Adriano – A reformed character since quitting Inter for Flamengo, he is scoring goals for fun in Brazil showing the potential he had as a young man. Strong, fast and great at finishing, he is the Brazilian equivalent to Wayne Rooney. Is not a like for like replacement for Henry but would fill the shoes better than most other strikers and for a very little fee of a few million, well worth the gamble.
– Van der Vaart – The Dutchman is getting almost no playing time at Real Madrid since the new ‘’ galacticos ‘’ have come in. Very good shooting and passing range, a lot better and less injury prone than Rosicky. Would cover for Cesc well and even replace him if he chooses to move clubs in the summer. Available for the champions league and could play in either of the midfield or attacking positions in Arsenals 4 3 3 formation. Would also link up well with Van Persie and could get the 10+ goals from midfield which Arsenal need.
– Lorik Cana – Nobody knew why Arsene did not sign him in the summer, he is exactly what they needed. Strong, passionate great a tackling and good passing ability, bosses midfields and wins everything in the air. He then signed for Sunderland for the small fee, considering he was Marseilles captain, of 5 million. Arsenal were punished by not buying when they lost to Sunderland and he ruled the midfield making arsenal’s so called wonder kids look like babies.