White Hart Lane target makes statement that could start bidding war.
Everton midfielder Steven Pienaar has alerted Tottenham, Liverpool and Manchester United to the fact he has rejected the Goodison club’s latest contract offer.
Everton hope to tie Jack Rodwell down to an improved four year deal on Monday but South African Pienaar, the club’s player of the year who has just one year remaining on contract, admits he doesn’t know whether he will be at the club next season.
Talking to South Africa media, Pienaar, 28, said he rejected an offer two weeks ago and his agent has not heard from Everton since.
Pienaar said: ‘Yes, I’d say the spirit of discussions was very good, but we have differing valuations, so my future isn’t clear. I don’t know. Everton may keep me for the last year of my deal. But they could sell me too. If they decide to sell, and the move is correct for my career, then I’ll consider it. Hopefully this hasn’t been my last season at Goodison. But in football, who knows?’
Everton manager David Moyes is reluctant to sell though and has slapped an £18m price tag on Pienaar which he hopes will put off Tottenham and United while Liverpool would have a more a realistic chance of signing him if he leaves on a free next summer. (Daily Mail)
Harry Redknapp has shown very real interest in the South African international in recent weeks apparently and these latest comments may well act as all the encouragement the Tottenham boss needs to make a move fort the Everton man.
The adaptable attacker may be just the type of player the White Hart Lane boss is looking for as he looks to add more talent to his Champions League bound squad. There is a great deal of interest in the 28 year old who had a great season at Goodison Park last term and may well add a few more million on his valuation should he have a good World Cup in his homeland.
Even though Spurs have a very impressive squad with great strength in depth there is much speculation suggesting that Redknapp is still keen on spending money this summer.