Premier League top scorer to leave Old Trafford?
Dimitar Berbatov’s contract talks with Manchester United have broken down and the Premier League’s leading scorer could be heading out of Old Trafford this summer.
Berbatov was told the club were ready to hand him a two-year extension to his current deal, which runs out in in June 2012, during initial negotiations just before Christmas and was confident of putting pen to paper before the end of the season.
But when the Bulgarian returned to the negotiating table earlier this year, the offer had been downgraded to a one-year rolling deal, albeit on improved terms.
United are prepared to hike his wages from £80,000-a-week to around £120,000-a-week as reward for his role in propelling the club to a six-point lead in the Premier League table.
However, there has been no indication from the Old Trafford hierarchy over the last six weeks that a longer contract will be on offer.
Berbatov, who did not travel with the squad to Gelsenkirchen for Tuesday night’s semi-final first leg against Schalke because of a groin injury, is unhappy that he has been relegated down the United pecking order in that time despite heading the Premier League scoring charts with 21 goals.
“The combination of Berbatov turning 30 [in January] and the rise of Javier Hernandez has changed things,” a source told Goal.com.
This sounds a little fishy to me. The idea was that during the period between December and now Man United decided that they would change the offer to Dimitar Berbatov makes little or no sense. For instance one of the two reasons given by the ‘source’ is that the Bulgarian was set to turn 30, well clearly that was a fact well known to the club in December as people’s birth-date’s do not tend to change.
Also the assertion that the form shown by Javier Hernandez was enough to alter negotiations is a bit of a red herring as the young Mexican had already scored seven goals before Christmas and would surely have been a factor before and not suddenly come into the club’s thinking. It is therefore seemingly more likely that this ‘source’ does not actually exist.
Dimitar Berbatov does it seems look like he may have to think about his future at Old Trafford though as Sir Alex Ferguson clearly has an eye on the future and sees Wayne Rooney and Chicharito as his first choice strike pairing. The likes of Tottenham and Bayern Munich are said to be very interested in the Premier League’s top scorer and clearly he will have no shortage of offers if it becomes clear that he has no future at the Premier League table toppers.