White Hart Lane schemer will not be allowed to leave.
Luka Modric has no plans to hand in a transfer request at Tottenham, according to his agent Nikky Vuksan.
The Croatia international, 25, hinted he would like to join Chelsea but Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is adamant the midfielder cannot leave the club.
Vuksan told BBC Sport: “I don’t think he’ll hand in a transfer request. He will honour his contract.
“He wants to play Champions League and win trophies. The only way we can resolve this is to sit down and talk.”
He added: “Luka will report today for training and will do his best, as always.”
Earlier in the summer, Modric was the subject of a £22m bid from Chelsea, which was rejected by Spurs.
Modric met Levy on Wednesday and Spurs’ chairman revealed he had made it clear that the player would not be allowed to leave the club.
“That’s the end of it,” Levy said. “As I said a few weeks ago there’s no further discussion. He was on holiday so we’ve now had the conversation and he understands our position.”
SOURCE: BBC Sport
This is indeed how best to quash speculation and perhaps North London neighbours Arsenal should adopt an equally strong stance on their supposed ‘want-away’ stars. Luka Modric had publicly stated his interest in joining Chelsea, an announcement that clearly shocked the club, not least as Harry Redknapp has up until that point been repeating the mantra that none of his big name players would be leaving.
Clearly having the Croatian international tied down to a contract that still has five years to run helps Tottenham’s case but one wonders how the club’s supporters will react to their former favourite when the new season gets underway, knowing that he had every intention of leaving White Hart Lane for the club’s arch rivals from Stamford Bridge.
Also, is that really and end to it? What if Chelsea came back with a far bigger bid? After all Redknapp has stated that the initial offer of £22m was way below the player’s market value, therefore insinuating that a more significant offer may be accepted?