Loftus Road player demands truth be told.
QPR defender Anton Ferdinand hopes the Football Association’s investigation into racial comments made by Chelsea captain John Terry will bring out the truth.
In his first public statement on the incident, Ferdinand said he was sure the FA would carry out a “very thorough inquiry” and that he has “strong feelings” on the matter.
Terry has denied racially abusing Ferdinand during QPR’s clash with Chelsea at Loftus Road on October 23.
Last week, the police and the FA launched investigations into the alleged racial slur and the incident has been the subject of intense media scrutiny ever since.
There had been speculation over the weekend that Ferdinand would release a statement containing his version of events.
But he instead decided to keep his counsel on the matter and chose to state only that he was happy to leave the FA to take charge of the matter.
After submitting his account of the exchange with Terry, Ferdinand released the following statement:
“Today I finalised my statement with the Football Association with regards to the incident that occurred last Sunday at Loftus Road in our Premier League fixture against Chelsea.
“I have very strong feelings on the matter, but in the interests of fairness and not wishing to prejudice what I am sure will be a very thorough inquiry by the FA, this will be my last comment on the subject until the inquiry is concluded.”
Terry has denied racially abusing Ferdinand, who he admitted had accused him of making a racist remark, but insisted his own response was actually a denial and not racist in any way.
Should Terry be found guilty of racially abusing a fellow player, his position as England captain could once again be put in jeopardy.