Rodgers says Carroll will not be first choice.
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has dropped the biggest hint yet that the club need to sell England international Andy Carroll.
The 23-year-old joined Liverpool from Newcastle for £35m 18 months ago but has struggled for form on Merseyside. Rodgers, who was appointed in June, has frequently backed Carroll in public, amid reports that the striker did not feature in his plans at Anfield.
But, with the transfer window slamming shut on Friday, Rodgers has admitted that Carroll is no more than a ‘cover player’ at Liverpool and says it would be best if the striker was sold.
Carroll was left out of the Liverpool squad for tonight’s Europa League clash with Hearts and, when asked if the powerful forward featured in his plans, the former Swansea boss told London24: “It is too early to say. I can only be straight with a player on where he stands. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to see Andy has been a cover player for us.
“He has been excellent in terms of his attitude and his acceptance of where he is at.
“But I’m not sure we are in a position to have £35m players as third-choice strikers or wingers who might be on £6m a year.
“I don’t think the club are in that position. The club needs repair financially.”
Rodgers is comments will spark speculation that Carroll could be set for a late move away from Liverpool. He has been linked with West Ham and a return to Newcastle but Toon boss Alan Pardew appeared to rule out a move for his former charge on Wednesday.
Carroll rejected a move to West Ham earlier in the summer, although the east Londoners may return with another bid in light of Rdogers’ remarks.