Clubs set to clash over striker’s talks at Loftus Road
West Brom and Queens Park Rangers are set for a bitter battle over striker Peter Odemwingie after he arrived in London for transfer talks with the permission of his club.
Odemwingie is keen to leave West Brom and join QPR’s fight against relegation from the Premier League, handing in a transfer request after The Hawthorns club had turned down a £2million offer for the 31-year-old Nigerian international.
After turning down a second improved bid from QPR, West Brom are still maintaining their striker will not be leaving the club – although they have been involved in more discussions with Harry Redknapp’s side.
But the two Premier League side’s are set for a bitter feud after Odemwingie was pictured arriving in London on Thursday evening – just hours before the transfer window shuts – without having been given permission to talk to QPR.
West Brom said in a statement: “Albion have moved to clarify developments regarding Peter Odemwingie after the striker was filmed a short while ago arriving at Loftus Road.
“The club can confirm they have held further discussions with QPR today but those talks have so far proven fruitless and no agreement has been reached. Albion would also like to make clear that Peter has not been given permission to speak to QPR about a potential move.”
Redknapp, meanwhile, told London Call-In: “Peter Odemwingie has pace, great movement. I like him and is a player that has always given us problems when I was at Tottenham. I think if we can get Odemwingie he would be a great signing for us, but whether we can pull it off I am not sure.”
Odemwingie is one of three players QPR are trying to tie up deals for in the final hours of the transfer window with Tottenham pair Jermaine Jenas and Andros Townsend the other two.