Menu

Alan Pardew Insists Newcastle United Comes Before Yohan Cabaye Concerns

Boss says club will not be held to ransom.

Check in to Transfer Window: Done Deal Alerts

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has said that the club will not be held to ransom by Yohan Cabaye as he angles for a move to Arsenal, Sky Sports reports.

Pardew refused to confirm or deny whether the French international had refused to play in the club’s first two games of the season against Manchester City and West Ham United since his future at St James’ became the subject of intense speculation.

However, he also revealed that no second offer had been received from Arsenal, and that the midfielder would not be involved in Wednesday night’s Capital One Cup second round tie at Morecambe as his future is sorted out.

Pardew said: “The answer isn’t as simple as a ‘yes’ or a ‘no’. The answer is he is either going to be sold and we are going to have to replace him in the window that we have left, or he’s going to stay.

“But I, as the manager, have to protect him and protect the football club, more importantly. The first thing on my agenda is the football club, trust me, and that will always come first while I am the manager here.”

The Gunners had made an initial offer of £10 million for the 27-year-old, which was rejected as the Magpies are looking for at least double that.

“The bottom line is with world-class players if they move on, it has to be world-class money,” Pardew added.

Cabaye is also keen to sort out his future after comments made by national team boss Didier Deschamps suggested that he runs the risk of missing out on future involvement.

“If you do not play for three weeks, how can you be in shape to plan an international? It is impossible.

“I do not ask them anything, they are free to pursue their careers, but they know very well and it is the same for everyone, you need a minimum of playing time. You have to have minutes on the pitch, start games, to be able to hope to play for France.”

More Stories Newcastle United FC