Menu

Chelsea Boss Jose Mourinho Denies Manchester United Have Enquired About Juan Mata

Chelsea boss plays down Mata talk.

Check in to Transfer Window: Done Deal Alerts

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has denied rumours that Manchester United have asked for Juan Mata as part of a potential deal for Wayne Rooney, according to the Metro.

It had been rumoured over the last few days that the Spanish playmaker was a top target for David Moyes, who has been chasing a player of his type all summer, missing out on the likes of Thiago Alcantara and Cesc Fabregas.

Whilst Moyes is also said to be considering a move for Real Madrid attacker Mesut Ozil, Mata has been linked with a move to Old Trafford due to Chelsea’s persistent interest in United star Rooney.

With the Blues signing the likes of Andre Schurrle and Willian this summer, and with promising youngster Kevin De Bruyne returning to the club after a successful loan spell with Werder Bremen, it is thought that Mata may no longer be part of Mourinho’s first-team plans.

Whilst the Portuguese coach did not rule out such a deal if it were proposed, he said that so far United have not made an enquiry of this nature.

“That’s hypothetical, because they didn’t ask,” he said. “The two answers we got from Man United is ‘we don’t accept the bid, ‘we’re not interested in selling the player.

“That’s the only official contact we had with Man United. Till Monday, we have nothing more to add to it.”

Mata had been linked with a move to Barcelona earlier this summer, despite becoming a highly influential player for Chelsea since joining the club from Valencia in 2011.

More Stories Chelsea FC Manchester United FC