Arsene Wenger Did Not Speak To Me For Five Years After ‘Battle Of The Buffet’, Claims Sir Alex Ferguson

Ferguson lifts lid on 2004 ‘Pizzagate’ feud with Arsenal boss. 

Check in to Manchester United vs Norwich City

Former Manchester United head coach Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed in his recently released autobiography that he and Arsenal head coach Arsene Wenger did not speak to each other for five whole years following the infamous ‘Pizzagate’ incident at Old Trafford in October 2004 , according to reports in the Daily Mirror.

The 71-year-old has now given his version of events from the aftermath of that match at the ‘Theatre of Dreams’ nine years ago when the United boss ended up being covered in pizza thrown from an Arsenal player.

The north London club had travelled to the north west on the back of a record-breaking 49-match unbeaten that had seen Wenger’s side win the previous season’s Premier League title by going the entire campaign unbeaten, earning the moniker of ‘The Invincibles’ in the process.

However, their extraordinary run came to an end following a highly controversial 2-0 defeat by the Red Devils, although much of the debate has always centred around events that took place in the tunnel at Old Trafford after the full-time whistle.

And according to the Scot, the whole saga began when Wenger confronted United front man Ruud van Nistelrooy after the end of the contest, with Ferguson then intervening between the pair in order to stand up for the Netherlands international.

“The problems started when he lost a game with one of his good Arsenal sides. He found it hard to accept fault in his team and looked to blame the opponent,” claims Fergie in ‘Alex Ferguson: My Autobiography’.

“He was livid. His fists were clenched. I was in control, I knew it. Anyway, the next thing I knew I had pizza all over me.

“They say it was Cesc Fabregas who threw the pizza at me but, to this day, I have no idea who the culprit is.

“The corridor outside the dressing-room turned into a rabble. It seemed to me that losing the game scrambled Arsene’s brain.”

And, it took until after Arsenal’s defeat by United in the semi-finals of the 2009 Champions League before the Frenchman started speaking to his rival again, says Ferguson.

More Stories Arsenal FC Manchester United FC