Brazilian says that he is happy he moved to the north west instead though.
Manchester City midfield player Fernandinho has claimed that Premier League rivals Chelsea tried to buy him last summer before he eventually decided to move to Eastlands instead, according to reports in the Mail on Sunday.
The highly rated Brazil international, who will line for Manuel Pellegrini’s side as they take on the west London club in the Premier League at Stamford Bridge on Sunday afternoon, joined the big-spending Premier League outfit from Ukrainian champions Shakhtar Donetsk last June on a four-year deal for a whopping transfer fee valued at £30 million.
However, the 28-year-old had now revealed that in actual fact the Blues came in for him first, only for his club at the time never to tell him of the Uefa Europa League holders’ approach for his services.
“It is a complicated story,” said Fernandinho ahead of Sunday’s eagerly anticipated league encounter between the two sides in the capital.
“There was contact before Manchester City came in for me but nobody told me about this in Shakhtar.
“I don’t know what happened between Shakhtar and Chelsea but I’m very happy. I have no regrets.
“City’s results show this. We try to play good football and in the last few games we have played good football and got good results.”
And since deciding to move to the north west last summer, the Brazilian has already proved himself to be a fine addition to City’s multimillion-pound squad, with Fernandinho having so far featured in nine matches in total for his new team in all competitions this season, six of which have come in the Premier League, although he is still to score his first goal for the club.