Reds chased Falcao too, before being told to look elsewhere…
Liverpool have tried desperately to replace Luis Suarez with a world-class striker this summer, tweeted respected BBC journalist Ben Smith this Wednesday.
#LFC still looking for a striker. Have enquired about Benzema, Falcao and Cavani. But have been told ‘no chance’
— Ben Smith (@BenSmithBBC) August 13, 2014
Smith claims that the Reds have asked Real Madrid about Frenchman Karim Benzema, AS Monaco about Radamel Falcao, and PSG about Edinson Cavani.
Unfortunately for Liverpool supporters, all three of their advances have been quickly rejected by the European giants, and Brendan Rodgers’ club will now have to turn their attentions elsewhere with just over two weeks left until the transfer window closes.
Liverpool have cash to spend after selling Suarez to Barcelona for £75m, and despite already shelling out even more than that on a plethora of summer signings including Adam Lallana, Lazar Markovic, Dejan Lovren and Emre Can, the only forward to so far arrive is ageing 32-year-old Rickie Lambert.
There are doubts over whether he has the pedigree to provide ample backup for Daniel Sturridge for an entire season, and the news of LIverpool targeting world-class forwards shows Rodgers has similar concerns.
Most recently though, reports have emerged that Liverpool could settle for free transfer forward Samuel Eto’o, who has yet to find a new club after being released from Chelsea at the start of the summer.
The 33-year-old will no doubt provide the excitement a transfer one of the aforementioned strikers would, but the fact that Liverpool have even targeted such prestigious names will encourage supporters.