Dry wit by everyone’s favourite French boss…
Football365 compiled this fantastic list of Arsene Wenger’s funniest quotes a few years back, and with the manager reaching his 18th anniversary in charge of the Gunners, we felt it apt to reblog it.
Number 37 is our favourite by a mile!
1) [Upon being asked what he does with his spare time] “I watch football.”
2) “I tried to watch the Tottenham match on television in my hotel yesterday, but I fell asleep.”
3) “When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.”
4) [On the qualities of Dennis Bergkamp] “Intelligence and class. Class is of course, most of the time linked to what you can do with the ball, but the intelligence makes you use the technique in an efficient way. It’s like somebody who has a big vocabulary but he doesn’t say intelligent words, and somebody who has a big vocabulary but he can talk intelligently, and that’s what Dennis is all about. What he does, there’s always a head and always a brain. And his technique allows him to do what he sees, and what he decides to do.”
5) [After the Arsenal fans booed a 1-1 draw with Middlesbrough in November 1998] “If you eat caviar every day it’s difficult to return to sausages.”
6) “A company works best when everybody does the job he is paid to do.”
7) “Sometimes now, when I watch continental games on television, I’m a bit bored. I’m thinking: ‘Where is the intensity?'”
8) [In 2003] “It’s not impossible. I know it will be difficult for us to go through the season unbeaten. But if we keep the right attitude it’s possible we can do it.”
9) [On Jose Mourinho after the then Chelsea boss accused him of being a voyeur] “He’s out of order, disconnected with reality and disrespectful. When you give success to stupid people, it makes them more stupid sometimes and not more intelligent.”
10) “A football team is like a beautiful woman. When you do not tell her, she forgets she is beautiful.”