Veteran midfielder open to longer Etihad Stadium stay.
Loaned in midfielder Frank Lampard has confirmed that he could extend his stay at the Etihad Stadium beyond January according to Goal.com.
The former Chelsea star moved to Man City on loan from new MLS franchise New York City FC, who are of course part owned by the Premier League side, and whilst the initial deal was set to run out in January it appears that the in-form veteran is having second thoughts.
“The temptation is to not get ahead of myself in my career. I am here until January 1, basically, so I will focus on that and see what happens then,” Lampard told the Manchester Evening News.
“There has been a lot said about when the season starts, but the only thing that can decide my future is how well I am playing. They will be kicking me out in January if I don’t play very well!
“I am just looking game to game and trying to play as well as I can.”
The 36 year old has improved incredibly effective thus far and one can understand why Man City boss Manuel Pellegrini would be considering any move to retain the former England international.
Lampard netted his first goal for the club, ironically, against his former side Chelsea and has scored three more since then whilst offering the Premier League title holder’s a strong cameo option to back up their strong squad.
“I have scored a few goals and I hope they can see my desire. I haven’t come here just to train and make up numbers in the squad,” he added. “People might have thought that was the case but it’s not.
“I want to perform – I have always done it throughout my career, and if people see that I am giving my all the fans will get behind me.”