German star my still move to the Emirates this summer though.
Coveted Schalke 04 midfielder Julian Draxler has revealed that Premier League giants Arsenal did make an offer for him after all on transfer deadline day, but that his employers rejected it out of hand, according to reports on Goal.com.
Read more Arsenal FC news.
The north London club had been chasing the 20-year-old throughout the entire January transfer window and even sent delegation over to Germany last week to try and seal a deal for the player.
However, Schalke would not allow the Germany international to depart for less than his £37.2m release clause in his contract, a fee that the Gunners were not prepared to meet.
“The fact is, [Schalke general manager] Horst Heldt had offers for me this winter,” Draxler told Sky Germany.
“I’m happy about that. On the other hand, it shows the respect I enjoy at this club, even if Heldt refuses without me being asked.
“The next three months will be difficult, I want to play a better second half of the season with Schalke because I want to play for Germany at the World Cup. That’s the main aim.”
And Schalke general manager Horst Heldt also went on to confirm Draxler’s version of events, explaining that they did not agree to sell their star man on Friday s they did not have any replacements lined up.
“There were offers for Julian this winter,” Heldt said.
“We told him, but also that we wouldn’t let him go.
“There was no replacement on the market and Julian didn’t really want to leave. But he would have brought us a lot of money.
“The moment will come. We can’t avoid this. He’s an outstanding player in Europe – one day he’ll leave us.”