Menu

Man United Suffer Blow as Cesc Fabregas Confirms He Has No Intention of Making Barcelona Exit

Top-flight champions had been hoping to land Spaniard for £26m this summer.  

Check in to Transfer Window: Done Deal Alerts

Reported Manchester United target Cesc Fabregas will be staying at Camp Nou next season after all, according to his head coach Tito Vilanova, reports the Daily Mail.

The highly rated Spain international has been the subject of a shock £26 million bid for his services from the Premier League champions on Monday night, despite having only been in Catalonia for less than two years now.

The 26-year-old left Arsenal to join the Liga giants in August 2011 for a fee that could potentially rise to as much as 34m euros, and in the intervening two-year period the silky-smooth midfield player has enjoyed an up-and-down career with his boyhood club.

In total under two different Barca managers, Pep Guardiola and Vilanova, Fabregas has still managed to record 29 goals and 32 assists in his 96 matches overall for the Liga champions, with the player now making it perfectly clear to his boss that he wants to stay at the club next season and win yet more trophies.

“Cesc has received offers from other clubs. I talked with him and he told me he wants to stay. His dream is to triumph here,” said Vilanova.

“We’re very happy to have Cesc. I’m conscious that he has received offers, but he spoke to me, says he’s happy, no chance of leaving.”

New United trainer David Moyes had been hoping to be able to lure the Spaniard to Old Trafford this summer to replace the recently retired England international Paul Scholes in the centre of the park for the Red Devils next season, especially after missing out to Bayern Munich on first-choice target Thiago Alcantara.


More Stories FC Barcelona Manchester United FC