Reds have no intention whatsoever of letting their star man go this summer.
Liverpool head coach Brendan Rodgers says that want-away front man Luis Suarez will still be at Anfield next season “unless something drastic happens”, reports the Daily Mail.
The controversial Uruguay international has been the subject of intense speculation of late linking him with a possible big-money move away from Merseyside this summer, with the likes of Real Madrid, Chelsea and Arsenal all having been linked with the player.
Meanwhile the 26-year-old himself has also stated his desire to quit the Reds and join Spanish giants Madrid, although as yet the only offer the Merseysiders have had for their star man has come from the Emirates, however, it fell way short of their £40 million valuation.
And now Rodgers says that he thinks Suarez, who has registered an eye-catching 51 goals and 24 assists in his 96 matches in total for the club, will still be a Liverpool player come the start of the new campaign.
“‘He is a wonderful player,'” said Rodgers, who is currently out in Jakarta on Liverpool’s pre-season tour of the Far East and Australia.
“And he is still very much a Liverpool player. No matter who the player is, nobody is bigger than Liverpool Football Club.
“Luis is a very important member of this squad and I am looking forward to working with him again this season. There has been lots of speculation about Luis moving to another club but, as I said, he is very much a Liverpool player.
“We had an offer that was nowhere near what we value him at. Of course he wants to work and play at the top level. But unless something drastic happens, he will be staying here. He has got three years left on his contract.”
Liverpool take on an Indonesian XI in the capital on Saturday afternoon in the first match of their trip, before then flying Down Under, where Suarez is due to finally join up with the squad after the player was given an extended break following his exertions in last month’s Fifa Confederations Cup in Brazil.