Reports in Spain suggest that Barcelona have turned down Manchester United’s second bid for Fabregas, thought to be around £30 million.
Barcelona have told Manchester United that midfielder Cesc Fabregas is not for sale despite the Red Devils offering the Catalan club an improved £30 million offer, BBC Sport reports.
United confirmed on Monday that they had submitted the improved bid to Barcelona after having a £25 million bid rejected last week.
However, reports in Spain suggest that Manchester United have been unsuccessful in their second bid, with Barcelona wishing to keep hold of the Spanish midfielder.
“Fabregas is not for sale,” a Barcelona source said on Monday. “The president (Sandro Rosell) has been very clear with Man United.”
United boss David Moyes may have to admit defeat in his pursuit of Fabregas and will have to turn his attentions to other targets.
When asked whether he would give up on Fabregas were the deal to drag on, Moyes said: “I think a point does come but I think when you are interested in good players you want to give it every opportunity to materialise. And I’ll do that”.
Hopes had been high at Old Trafford that United would be able to persuade Barcelona to part with Fabregas, who left Arsenal to join the Catalan club two years ago.
Since then, Fabregas has struggled to down a place in Barcelona’s midfield, often being played out of position so that the club could use Xavi and Andres Iniesta in central midfield.
However, it appears that Barcelona don’t want to part with Fabregas having recently sold another creative midfielder, Thiago Alcantara to Bayern Munich.