Spaniard has only been back at Camp Nou for two years now.
Manchester United look like missing out on their first choice transfer target of the summer after FC Barcelona midfield player Cesc Fabregas told friends that he wants to stay at Camp Nou next season and fight for his place in the team, reports the Sun.
The Premier League champions have been keeping close tabs on the Spain international for some time now with a view to bringing the 26-year-old to Old Trafford before the new campaign gets under way.
So far, new United head coach David Moyes has had two offers for the former Arsenal captain rejected by the Spanish champions, with the Red Devils said to be readying a third bid worth a club-record £35 million for the playmaker.
However, it is understood that Fabreags has now told close friends that he is determined to remain in Catalonia next season and that it is too soon to make a return to the Premier League.
Fabregas has only been back at his hometown club for two years now, with the player having returned home to Spain from Arsenal in a deal worth an initial 29m euros in August 2011.
And in the intervening two-year period, Fabregas has registered 29 goals and 32 assists in just 96 matches for Barca, with an insider at the club confirming to the Sun on Monday night: “Cesc is very flattered by United’s interest and recognises what a great opportunity they offer.
“But it’s only two years since he left Arsenal and he doesn’t want to turn his back on Barcelona so soon.
“It has been a battle trying to dislodge Xavi and Iniesta, or slot in successfully beside them, but he has had his fair share of games and wants even more.”