Uruguay attacker made his Reds comeback at United in midweek.
Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre has confirmed that the Merseyside giants plan on opening talks with want-away front man Luis Suarez about extending his stay at Anfield at the end of this season, according to reports on SkySports.com.
The controversial Uruguay international finally made his long-awaited comeback from his recent 10-game ban for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic on the arm in a Premier League clash at Anfield in April earlier this week.
Suarez started up front for Brendan Rodgers’s side in their Capital One Cup third-round tie against arch-rivals Manchester United at Old Trafford, although the presence of the 26-year-old in the visitors’ attack was still not enough to prevent the Reds from losing the contest 1-0 though.
Either way, however, Ayre says that the club plan to sit down with Suarez’s representatives when this current campaign has drawn to a close and discuss the possibility of the striker signing a new deal at Anfield.
At present, Suarez’s contract runs until June 30 2018 after the Uruguayan put pen to paper on a new bumper deal with the Reds in August 2012, however, with a number of big-name clubs from across the Continent known to be interested in signing the forward, Liverpool will be desperate for their star man to commit his long-term future to the Merseysiders come next summer.
“We sort of begin those type of discussions two years in from the end, so it’ll be the end of this season. We’ll do the same with everyone and at the right time we’ll have the discussion with Luis and his advisors,” said Ayre.