Barca veteran laments ‘big loss’.
Barcelona midfielder Xavi believes the club’s sale of Cesc Fabregas to Chelsea this summer will be a big loss, according to Le10Sport.
The former Arsenal man was confirmed as a Chelsea player on Thursday after recent speculation saw him become a surprise target for the Blues, and he will now be back in the Premier League again next season after an underwhelming three-year spell at the Nou Camp.
Fabregas had been desperate to leave Arsenal for a chance to return to his boyhood club, but after three seasons of playing largely out of position and failing to have a desired impact on the team, the 27-year-old is now set to bid farewell to a number of his team-mates for club and country.
One of his team-mates, Xavi, wishes the £30m man well at his new club, but could not hide the fact that the news was disappointing.
“This is a great loss to Barcelona,” the 34-year-old said.
“I wish the best because I consider him a friend. This is great news for Cesc. He looks happy. This is a great chance for him to play in a big club. It was what he wanted and he seems happy.
“Now it will be more relaxed knowing that his future in the coming years is set.”
Vicente del Bosque, Fabregas’ manager for the Spanish national team, was unmoved by the deal and insisted it would make no difference to his team’s preparations or tactics in this summer’s World Cup, as they look to retain the trophy they won in South Africa in 2010.
“It does not interfere in the team environment,” he said. “These parallel situations are typical of the summer, there are changes in the clubs, it does not affect our game and our team.”
SEE ALSO: The Fastest Players on Fifa 14