Menu

Dortmund’s Marco Reus under investigation again, despite paying mammoth €540k fine for driving offences

Dortmund main man and Germany international Marco Reus is apparently once again under investigation for driving offences following a huge €540,000 fine for driving without a licence on six separate occasions.

SEE MORE:
Borussia Dortmund news
Borussia Dortmund appoint Thomas Tuchel as Jurgen Klopp replacement
Marco Reus transfer: Barcelona & Real Madrid open talks with £25m forward

The Dortmund state prosecutor’s office have confirmed that they are continuing to investigate BVB star Reus over multiple driving offences.

The 25-year-old forward was handed a huge fine for driving without a licence on six separate occasions, though a further investigation into the footballer was initiated only days afterwards.

Quoted in The Mirror, Barbara Vogelsang, spokeswoman for the Dortmund prosecutor’s office, said, “On December 19, 2014, a new investigation was initiated. The investigation is ongoing, of course I can make no further information.”

It is reported in the paper that the new investigation is thanks to information from the public and involves him being spotted on other occasions, spread over several years.

Reus did take driving lessons aged 18, though he never passed his test, and was stopped by police at a checkpoint in March last year whilst driving his Aston Martin.

The footballer is also thought to have been subject to many speeding fines, which were paid promptly, though no licence checks took place as he was only flashed by a camera.

After paying his fine he said, “I know that I was too naive and that it was stupid. I have learned my lesson and this will not happen again.”

Borussia Dortmund tied the forward down until 2019 this February amid speculation he would leave due to their poor league form and likely absence from European competition next term.

More Stories Borussia Dortmund FC Marcos Reus