Menu

West Ham star arrested on suspicion of ‘threats to kill and witness intimidation’

West Ham star Diafra Sakho has been arrested on suspicion of making ‘threats to kill and witness intimidation’, reports The Sun.

The 25-year-old was supposedly threatening his girlfriend, just days after he allegedly assaulted her. He was taken in on Sunday night and questioned, before being let out on bail until early October. This is surprising news to both the Hammers hierarchy and their fans, with it putting his future at the Boleyn Ground in to doubt. He was already on bail following allegations that he had assaulted the woman earlier this month.

“The club has stood by him since his last arrest but they will not be happy about this,” a source told The Sun, “It remains to be seen if they will take any action. The fans love him and he certainly knows how to score a goal, but the Hammers don’t need this kind of negative publicity.”

A statement from the Metropolitan Police has been released [ITV], saying: “On Sunday 23 August, officers from Havering arrested a man on suspicion of threats to kill and witness intimidation. A 25-year-old man was arrested an an address in Emerson Park, Hornchurch. He was taken to an east London police station and bailed pending police enquiries to a date in early October.”

The footballer was first arrested on August 6, and manager Slaven Bilic confirmed that he will continue picking him for the first team. This means he should still be available for their match against Liverpool next weekend, which will be a major boost as both Enner Valencia and Andy Carroll are currently injured.

“He looks OK and is not worried,” said the Croatian, “He is still positive and training normally.”

SEE MORE
West Ham transfer news

West Ham ready to pay £13.2m for Italian international forward
West Ham set to complete DEAL to sign Tottenham star

The player himself has denied all the allegations, and added that he is yet to be charged with anything. However, in cases of domestic abuse, police have to continue their investigations even if the complainant withdraws their statement.

“Diafra Sakho has not been charged with any offence,” a spokesperson said, “He vigorously denies the allegations that have been made against him, and has given the police a complete explanation of events.

“He will not be making any further comment.”

More Stories Diafra Sakho