Arsenal gossip: Coquelin confirmed out for three months but two strikers targeted in January

Posted by

Wednesday’s biggest Arsenal news and transfer gossip.

Mauro Icardi Inter Milan

Arsenal are reportedly ready to make a move for Inter Milan striker Mauro Icardi in January despite seeing a £32m offer for him rejected for him over the summer, Tuttosport reports.

The Argentine frontman has struggled for goals this term, bagging only four so far, but he remains highly-rated across Europe.

Arsenal were interested in him over the summer before missing out and turning their attentions toward Real Madrid frontman Karim Benzema, who they also missed out on.

Alexandre Pato

Arsenal, along with Tottenham and Liverpool, have been made aware of the potential availability of Corinthians striker Alexandre Pato, according to the London Evening Standard.

The Brazilian is reportedly keen on a return to Europe after five years away, especially as he has struggled to recapture his best form since returning to his home country.

Corinthians are said to be looking for a fee of around £11million for his services, and have informed the Premier League trio that he would be available in the new year.

Alexis Sanchez injury

Arsene Wenger has admitted that he would have liked to have rested tired forward Alexis Sanchez during the Champions League clash with Dinamo Zagreb on Tuesday, the Daily Express reports.

The Chilean has been in non stop action since joining the club, with many sections of the Gunners faithful calling for him to be rested in light of recent performances.

However, an injury to Olivier Giroud after substitutions to both Hector Bellerin and Santi Cazorla prevented Sanchez from coming off after the game had already been won.

Coquelin injury

Wenger has also confirmed that influential midfielder Francis Coquelin will be out of action for three months, the Daily Mirror reports.

The Frenchman was taken out of Saturday’s defeat to West Bromwich Albion, though it was thought that the injury may not have been as serious as first thought.

However, tests have shown that he has in fact suffered knee ligament damage and will join the club’s ever growing casualty list.

wenger-10-16

And Wenger has suggested that the crisis could force his hand into the transfer window in January, the Metro reports.

With eight first team stars out of action, the manager is wary of the club’s title challenge is in danger of fading away as the season enters a crucial stage.

Though Aaron Ramsey has returned to training for the Gunners’ must-win clash against Dinamo Zagreb tonight, Wenger’s side look short in central midfield and in attack.

“I will do what is needed in January, knowing that it is not an ideal market,” said Wenger.

More Stories Alexandre Pato Alexis Sanchez Arsene Wenger Francis Coquelin Mauro Icardi