Menu

Jose Mourinho says Chelsea striker Diego Costa will not be returning to Atletico Madrid

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has quashed rumours claiming that striker Diego Costa will be heading back to Atletico Madrid, according to the Daily Mirror.

With the Spanish international struggling for form this season, reports had surfaced linking him with a return to his former club (via Mirror).

Costa himself had hinted that he would be open to the possibility of heading back to the Spanish capital last week when he claimed that “life is full of surprises” (via Mirror).

His comments came after he had been left on the bench for Chelsea’s recent clash with Tottenham, but Mourinho was quick to put the story on the back burner by claiming that he believes the player will remain at Stamford Bridge.

“Atletico is a great club, La Liga is a great league, so why should a 28-year-old player not think it is possible to go back?” Mourinho said.

“I don’t see a problem. He is happy here. He has, I think, three more years under contract.

“I see him staying at Chelsea for three more years, no problem.”

Costa was reinstated into the team’s starting XI for the recent Champions League clash with Porto and played a crucial role in the side’s opener and is now expected to start again in Chelsea’s clash with the season’s surprise package Leicester City on Monday (via Mirror).

SEE MORE:
Swansea want Herve Renard to replace Garry Monk
Chelsea transfer news: Mourinho’s hopes of moving to Euro giants boosted as coach admits uncertainty over future
Liverpool, Barcelona face surprise transfer competition; contact made with South American striker

More Stories Diego Costa Jose Mourinho