Tottenham Hotspur are set to face strong competition on their pursuit of Saido Berahino as West Brom manager Tony Pulis says more than a dozen clubs are interested in the striker, Standard Sport reports.
The 22-year-old was left out of the Baggies starting XI for the game against Chelsea on Sunday afternoon amid speculation that he could leave the Hawthorns before the transfer window closes next week.
A move to White Hart Lane has been heavily touted in the media in recent days and it’s expected that Spurs will return with a second offer after seeing an £18million bid rejected last week.
However, the North London outfit are among 15 different clubs that want to sign Berahino this summer according to the Baggies boss, who responded to questions regarding the striker’s frame of mind:
“Why are we talking about Saido today? We’re talking about Saido because of the transfer window. Everybody here today should be talking about the game and this wouldn’t be an issue. It can be disruptive and has been,” Pulis said.
“He is fine, there’s no problems but it’s the transfer window which causes the problems. He needs to be protected, there’s loads of stuff going on in his mind, no just one club but 15 clubs. No-one should have this problem,” Pulis added.
Berahino started both of the Baggies’ opening two games of the new season, but failed to find the back of the net against Manchester City and Watford respectively.
Tottenham place £10m Chelsea attacker on White Hart Lane wishlist
Tottenham target tells Southampton he wants White Hart Lane transfer
Sadio Mane Man Utd: Southampton keen to sign Tottenham forward as replacement