Menu

Manchester United handed major boost in bid to keep influential star

Real Madrid will reportedly not reignite their interest in Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea this summer, according to reports in Spain.

The Spanish shot-stopper was the focal point of a transfer saga last summer, which eventually saw him remain at Old Trafford and force his way back into Louis van Gaal’s starting line-up.

Jose Mourinho will likely rely heavily on him next season, and the Portuguese tactician will be boosted by the suggestion that the club he used to coach won’t return for him in the coming months.

According to AS, Madrid have until June 15 to exercise a release clause of €50m in De Gea’s contract, but both the club and agent Jorge Mendes have suggested that there isn’t an intention to sign him.

It is claimed that Keylor Navas has done enough to earn the trust of Zinedine Zidane moving forward, with the Costa Rican international playing a pivotal role in the club’s success this past year which saw them win the Champions League.

The goalkeeper has chosen to undergo Achilles tendon surgery and miss the Copa America in favour of ensuring that he is in top condition in pre-season, and his loyalty and determination are seemingly set to be rewarded.

Furthermore, a survey carried out by AS on March 10 showed that 79 per cent of participants would prefer Navas to start for the club with the remaining 21 per cent in favour of De Gea.

Mourinho has reportedly already spoken to the Spaniard and reassured him that he wants him to stay and continue to be a pillar of the club’s success moving forward. As a result, United supporters will be delighted in the knowledge that arguably the Premier League’s No.1 goalkeeper will most probably still be at Old Trafford next season.

More Stories David de Gea