Menu

Jose Mourinho says Man United ‘opened the door’ for transfer but 28-year-old looks set to stay

Manchester United defender Matteo Darmian looks set to stay at Old Trafford after a turbulent summer.

The 28-year-old full-back had been linked with interest from Serie A sides Napoli, Juventus and Inter Milan, according to The Sun, but the Italian transfer window closed on Friday so those destinations are now off the menu.

He could still move to Spain where the transfer deadline is not until August 31, but The Sun suggest he will reluctantly remain where he is.

Matteo Darmian

The Sun also run quotes from United manager Jose Mourinho claiming that Darmian was given the chance to leave.

Mourinho said: “I don’t think he will go and he cannot have any bad feeling towards us because we opened the door for him in case his desire was to go.

“But it looks like it’s not going to end in a transfer. For me it is good news that Matteo is staying.”

READ MORE: Vile Bobby Madley dog sex rumour traced after Twitter ‘ITK’ boasts about thinking up horrible slur on referee

Darmian, who has been capped 36 times by Italy at senior international level, only featured in eight Premier League games last season, but started United’s opening fixture this term – a 2-1 win over Leicester City last Friday.

He cost United £12.7m, as reported by the Daily Star, when he signed from Torino in 2015.

Prior to joining United, Darmian had spent his entire career in Italy – with Palermo, Padova and AC Milan on his list of former clubs.

More Stories Jose Mourinho Matteo Darmian